My laundry hamper is overflowing, there is cornmeal on the kitchen floor from making pizzas from scratch, and the new kitten is still hiding under my bed. I am having trouble finding time to write and time to take care of the house.
I have to reevaluate how I spend my day. I am not lazy. I don’t watch television. I do check my e-mail every ten minutes. I read the news on-line every hour at the top of the hour, and I shave my legs every day in the winter. I need an action plan. I need a list.
Thirteen ways to mange your time as a writer
1 . Wake up an hour early and write when it is quiet.
2. Check your e-mail once a day, not three hundred times a day.
3. Brush and floss your teeth after every meal, so you don’t waste time getting cavities filled at the dentist.
4. Do not fertilize or water your lawn. Do not encourage your grass to grow. Mow as needed or once a week.
5. Reduce the amount of clothes you have to wash by wearing the same clothes for a week. Change your underwear daily.
6. Color code your dishes, and have each family member wash their own dishes. Or buy paper plates.
7. Buy frozen pizza and premade food. Invest in a good microwave.
8. Train your family members to do their own laundry.
9. Do not sweep the kitchen floor, get a dog.
10. Do not shave your legs every day, wear pants. Men, grow a beard.
11. Clean the house once a month, or when you are expecting company.
12. Write late at night when it is quiet.
13. Do not get anymore kittens.
Do you have any suggestions on how to manage time when you are a writer? Please let me know.